Date: Tuesday 29th April 2014
Venue: Committee Room 9, House of Commons, London SW1A 0AA
- Chris Bryant MP, Shadow Minister and Vice-Chair Russia APPG
- Dr David Lewis, Senior Lecturer, University of Exeter
- Maisy Weicherding, Researcher-Eurasia, Amnesty International
- Jago Russell, Chief Executive, Fair Trials International
- Claire Rimmer Quaid, Senior Project Officer, European Council on Refugees and Exiles (ECRE)
Chair: Baroness Stern CBE
This Westminster Seminar event will launch a new Foreign Policy Centre publication, kindly supported by the Open Society Foundations, entitled Shelter from the storm? The asylum, refuge and extradition situation facing activists from the former Soviet Union in the CIS and Europe. The event will look at some of the key issues around asylum, extradition and the provision of refuge for human rights defenders, political and religious activists and other controversial figures from the former Soviet Union.It will examine the extent to which Russia and other CIS countries abide by their obligations under European and international law when facing extradition requests from fellow signatories to the Minsk Convention. It also will explore European asylum and immigration policies and how they impact on activists from the former Soviet Union.
The event is free and open to all.
Please RSVP to email@example.com
Download Shelter from the storm? (210 kilobyte PDF)